Aust Prescr 1994;17:73
Occasionally, a doctor may have to dispense a medication before the patient is able to obtain it from a pharmacy. This chart is a reminder of the basic instructions which accompany the 50 most commonly prescribed medications. It is based on the Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary published by the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. The approved product information should be consulted for more detailed information on dosage and administration.
|Amoxycillin suspension||6.7 (14 days)||D||\"|
|Amoxycillin with potassium clavulanate tablets||D||\"|
|Amoxycillin with potassium clavulanate suspension||6,7 (7 days)||D||\"|
|Cefaclor suspension||6,7 (14 days)||D|
|Cephalexin suspension||6,7 (14 days)||D|
|Chloramphenicol eye drops||7 (30 days)|
|Erythromycin||3||AD||\"||Instructions may vary with formulation|
|Flucloxacillin||3||D||\"||? Liver function during prolonged therapy|
|Flucloxacillin suspension||3,6,7 (14 days)||D||\"||\" \" \" \" \" \" \"|
|Metronidazole||2||BD||\"||\" \" \" \" \" \" \"|
|Phenoxymethylpenicillin||3||D||\"||\" \" \" \" \" \" \"|
|Tetracyclines||3,4||D||\"||Not suitable for children. Doxycyline absorption is not significantly affected by milk|
|Trimethoprim tablets||D||Avoid in pregnancy|
|Trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole||8||BD||\"||\" \" \" \" \" \" \"|
|CARDIOVASCULAR||ACE inhibitors -|
|Captopril tablets||11||C||First dose hypotension may occur|
|Captopril solution||7 (28 days), 11||C||\" \" \" \" \" \" \"|
|Enalapril||11||\" \" \" \" \" \" \"|
|Beta adrenoceptor blocking drugs - atenolol, metoprolol, timolol||9, 12||Contraindicated in patients at risk of brochospasm eg asthmatics. May precipitate heart failure|
|Calcium channel blockers -|
|Verapamil sustained release tablets||AB|
|Frusemide||15||? Renal function|
|Glyceryl trinitrate||7 (90 days), 15|
|Simvastatin||Continue lipid lowering diet|
|Inhaled steroids - budesonide, beclomethasone||14|
|Ipratropium||? Risk of glaucoma, urinary retention|
|Salbutamol (inhaled)||Is preventative therapy indicated?|
|PSYCHIATRY||Benzodiazepines - diazepam, nitrazepam, oxazepam, temazepam||1||Not for prolonged use|
|Tricyclic antidepressants - amitriptyline, doxepin, dothiepin||1,13,15||? Risk of glaucoma, urinary retention|
|ANALGESICS||Aspirin||13||AB||Contraindicated in bleeding disorders, peptic ulcer|
|Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - diclofenac, ketoprofen, naproxen, piroxicam||10,12||AB||Interaction with anticoagulants|
|Paracetamol with codeine||1,13|
|GASTROINTESTINAL||Cimetidine||Interaction with lignocaine, phenytoin, nifedipine and wafarin|
|Magnesium with aluminium hydroxide antacids||? Renal insufficiency|
|METABOLIC||Allopurinol||12||B||? Fluid intake|
|OPHTHALMIC||Chloramphenicol||See anti-infective section|
|Timolol||7 (30 days)||See beta adrenoceptor blocking drugs|
- May cause drowsiness and increase the effects of alcohol and other depressants of the central nervous system. Patients should be advised about the risks of driving and operating machinery.
- Not to be taken with alcohol.
- Take on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before food, and at bedtime.
- Do not take milk, antacids, iron or calcium supplements within two hours of taking this medicine.
- Certain drugs and foods should not be taken during treatment.
- Refrigerate do not freeze.
- This product may have a limited shelf-life and should be discarded after a certain period of time.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight during treatment.
- Do not stop taking this treatment suddenly. If adverse effects occur, the patient should seek advice on whether or not to continue the treatment.
- Do not take with aspirin.
- Do not take with potassium supplements.
- May affect mental alertness and/or co-ordination. Patients should be advised about the risks of driving and operating machinery.
- Keep in the original packaging.
- Rinse mouth out with water after use.
- May cause dizziness (postural hypotension).
- A. Should be taken whole and not divided.
- B. Take with or after food.
- C. On an empty stomach or at least 30 minutes before food.
- D. Until all used, unless adverse effects develop.
- E. Continue for at least 7 days after the rash disappears.
- F. Immediately before food.
- G. Drink plenty of water.